Wednesday, February 29, 2012

40 Days

For Lent this year, I decided to give up Facebook. It seemed like am impossible sacrifice, and that I was setting myself up for failure. But I felt like I was being called to do so this year.

I'll be honest, the first few days were tough. I found myself typing in facebook.com without even thinking as soon as I opened by browser. I would stare at the Facebook icon on my phone and have to will myself not to press it. I have had to go on a few times to respond to some emails, but I have managed to pretty much keep to my Lenten sacrifice.

One thing I have learned is that I spend a lot of time on Facebook. A lot. In just the first week of Lent, I have gotten around to several projects around the house that I always claim I just don't have time for. Organizing photos, organizing my pantry, going through old magazines. It's not that I didn't have time for them, I just spent so much time on Facebook.

Do I miss being on Facebook more? Yes, I do. Other the past 5 years, I have formed true friendships with women all around the US. I haven't met many of them in person, but they are friends I hold close to my heart. Facebook is one of the main ways I cultivate these friendships. I miss sharing videos and photos so that our family, the closest being several hundred miles away, can keep up with what the kids are up to.

But I don't miss the drama. I don't miss the politics. I don't miss getting into debates with people I don't know. I'm sure that giving up time on Facebook will not last past Lent. But I hope I remember the lessons I've already learned and spend less time on there than before. It's been good for me, and for my family.

1 comment:

emily rose said...

Great Post ! I really appreciate your effort of writting... Thanks for sharing such a superb Post .... Keep Sharing such a great info ... !!! Web development services Dubai

Web hosting services Dubai

SEO services Dubai

Ecommerce website design Dubai

Travel booking website Dubai

Hotel management software Dubai

Website design services Dubai